The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Friday, November 20, 2020

Along 66, October, 2020: Shamrock Court Cleanup Planned

OCTOBER 8

Cleanup day scheduled for next month at Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri.  The good folks at the Missouri Route 66 Association are planning it for the weekend of Nov. 7-8.

The long-closed motel is listed for $125,000, but the price is negotiable.  It was built 1947-1948 and owned by the family of John and Rose Weiland since 1953.

In the late 1970s, it was converted into efficiency apartments and living quarters for the owners.

What I like the best about it is that the outside is covered with that really distinctive giraffe stonework so common in the Ozarks.  When I first saw it was for sale and at that price, I must admit I was more than a bit interested in it.  But, I am retired and ownership of that would entail a whole lot of work.

I would envision it used for small businesses, offices and maybe  several motel rooms for folks wanting a real Route 66 motel experience.  Maybe even a small craft beer place.  Part of it could be a visitors center as well.

And, importantly, Sullivan is the last place heading west on Route 66 in Missouri where you can stop at a Jack in the Box (well, I see at their site that there is now one in Cuba).  I love those Jumbo Jacks and especially their tacos.)

A while back, when I saw that the Blue Swallow in Tucumcari was for sale for $170,000, I also thought about that one.  But again, way too much work for a retired person.

The Shamrock Court looks a lot like the famous Sunset Motel in Villa Ridge, Missouri which was built in 1945.

--RoadJack


No comments: