Wednesday, April 4, 2018
Illinois' 200th Anniversary, 20 Sites to Visit-- Part 2: Route 66 and I&MCanal
6. ROUTE 66-- Well, all of us 66ers knew about the Illinois stretch, Chicago to East St. Louis.
7. FORT DE CHARTRES-- Near Prairie du Rocher. One of a series of French-built forts before handing country east of the Mississippi over to English. The powder magazine is believed to be the oldest standing building in the state.
8. I&M CANAL-- LaSalle, a crucial link between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River. Hand-dug in teh 1800s.
9. NAUVOO-- Mississippi River occupied by Joseph Smith and the Mormons before being driven out.
10. LOVEJOY HOMESTEAD-- Part of the Underground Railway in Princeton.