The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Friday, June 25, 2010

2010 Lincoln Highway Conference-- Day 1-- Part 3

Back to the Super 8 and switched to the Dakota and drove the short distance on Galena Avenue (part of which is the LH) and under the famous arch, to the Loveland Community Center on Second Avenue. It is an old structure itself, having been built in the 1930s. There is a beautiful old stone railroad overpass a block down the street (one of two in town).


THE WET NOTES

I generally take notes to battle my CRS (Can't Remember Stuff, Right). I can't blame it on age, as I've always had it. One of the reasons I keep a journal as well. I took notes of the welcome banquet, but somehow, back at the motel later, they fell onto the ground by the truck and we had a torrential downpour early on the 23rd and they got quite wet. Unfortunately, the ink kind of bled straight through so I am doing the best I can drawing on the old severely limited memory and carefully deciphering what I can with the notebook. Oh, yes, in addition, my handwriting is often sort of undecipherable as well.


REAL LINCOLN HIGHWAY ROYALTY

Denny and I got a table near the front (I'm not at school any more so can sit near the front) and were joined by Bernie Queneau and his lovely wife. Back in 1928, he was one of four Boy Scouts to tour the Lincoln Highway in the summer before all the markers were erected by the Scouts. His wife, Esther, was the former president of the Lincoln Highway Association.

As if that was not enough, then none other than author and primo Lincoln Highway Guy Brian Butko joined us. I tell you, I am simply not worthy to be among such folks. "Wayne's World, Wayne's World."

Closing Out Now. --RoadDog

2 comments:

g said...

Hey Don, mi casa es yours and Liz's casa...would love to have ya...lots of NTN out here too..talk soon

RoadDog said...

Time to start an Arizona Blog. Maybe call it "My Life in the Desert."