The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

A Bit of History-- The Battle of Fort Fisher

Even though the history and Civil War subjects have been spun out to other blogs, I have to write about this event, whose anniversary is today, as it is what got me interested in history, and that, of course, eventually developed into an old road infatuation that I can barely contain.

The event I speak of is the First Battle of Fort Fisher, NC, which started December 24, 1864, and ended today. That was 143 years ago.

When I was seven, my dad took me to Fort Fisher and tried to explain that it was in a war fought between north and south. I figured we must have been for the north since we lived in North Carolina, and just south of us was South Carolina. He explained that we were for the south.

I then said that we were north because we lived in North America. Dad was very patient and explained it all to me. From then on, I read as much as I could about the Civil War. I was HOOKED.

By the way, the Confederacy won this battle and the port of Wilmington, the haven of blockade runners, remained open. Lee's army could still receive the supplies it needed to continue its struggle for independence.

Funny How Things Can Get You Started on Life-Long Interests. --RoadDog

No comments: