The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Still on Route 66 in Illinois: Cozy Dog and Litchfield


Still the 23rd of April.

I should say at this time that there are many more things to see and do on the Illinois stretch of Route 66. I'm just writing about the places I went to and things that have changed recently.

Stopped at the COZY DOG in Springfield, even though I wasn't very hungry after the feast at Smaterjax. Just had to have my Cozy Dog. As much as I like these corndogs, I think I'm just as fond of their homemade French fries. I always enjoy reading the Route 66 magazines they have sitting out for your perusal. I just have to try to keep the mustard I liberally apply to the corndog off the magazine.

LITCHFIELD- unfortunately, the road work of last summer is over and all the US shield signs with 66 detour are no longer in place. That was neat to see actual Route 66 signage on the actual road. I had hoped they would have left them up.

The drive in is open again on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Right now they're featuring "300" and that great road movie "Wild Hogs." Well, I really enjoyed it, even if a lot of critics panned it. Watching this movie really gave me the hankering to hit the road. This theater is a Route 66 original.

SAD NEWS. A few years ago, I saw that the old Gardens Restaurand had been torn down. It is located on a CORNER. And you'll never guess what is being built there. You're right. A WALGREENS. Is no corner in America safe?

Keepin' on Down Route 66 before it's Route Walgreens. --RoadDog

No comments: