The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Still On Da Road: Illinois Route 66


Next stop was at that great old station in Odell. When I told the man working there that I intended to see the white squirrels in Olney, he said he had lived all his life in Olney and at one time there had been some off-white squirrels as well as some with white tails. I didn't know that.

Also, several weeks ago, a woman from Toronto had a five hour layover at Chicago's O'Hare. She had heard about the station and rented a car and drove out to see it. That is quite a story!!!! A real fan!!!!

Gas prices ranged from $2.88 to $2.99 until I got to Pontiac, where it was $2.80. The $42 fillup was still hard to take. I am old enough to remember pulling out of a station when they wanted the exhorbitant price of 34 cents.

Drove by the old State Highway Patrol station south of Pontiac. The state is possibly going to give it to the city of Pontiac. I'd sure like to see it turned into a museum or park.

I still miss the old Ballard elevator located south of Chenoa. It wasn't much to look at, just there,
and a part of the Route 66 experience.

The Tropics Restaurant in Lincoln still sits there empty with that great old sign. I still worry about a Walgreen's grabbing the lot. The Abraham Lincoln sitting on the giant covered wagon that was formerly in Divernon now sits right across from the Tropics.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. RoadDog

No comments: