The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Chicago's Best Corned Beef-- Part 1


From the March 13, 2019, Chicago Tribune by Louisa Chu.

"Chicago is a corned beef town, unlike New York, Los Angeles or Montreal, where they prefer pastrami.  We like our brined and braised beef served steaming hot, sliced thin and piled high in rye bread sandwiches, or cut thick with cooked cabbage."

I like my corned beef in either sandwiches or the classic corned beef & cabbage (CB&C) dinners we get around this time of year for some reason.  I already had a CB&C dinner this past Saturday at the Fox Lake Fire Department and have plans for CB&C Friday at the Fox Lake American Legion, Saturday at the Lake Villa VFW and Sunday at Stucky's.

Anyway, she visited 31 restaurants and sampled their corned beef sandwiches.  She said all have merit, but came up with a list of her favorite 17.  I sure would have liked to go along with her, but, truthfully, I don't believe I ever met corned beef I didn't like.

All are in Chicago unless otherwise noted.  She gave reasons why she liked them so check out the article for info and addresses.

#17.  City Mouse    The corned wagyu beef sandwich.  $14   My question, what is wagyu beef?  She says the fries almost stole the show.

#16.  Schmaltz Delicatessen   The No. 5 Wall Street  $12.49     Naperville

More Corned Beef, Please.  --RoadDog

No comments: