The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Friday, May 1, 2009

Lincoln Highway Loses a Record Store

I was much saddened to learn of the end of another one of my favorite mom and pop record stores, the Record Revolution in Dekalb, Illinois, right on Lincoln Highway.

An article in the April 22nd student newspaper of Northern Illinois University, the Northern Star, reported that the store was closing this past Sunday, April 26th. Every time I was in town, this was a necessary stop and I always bought at least one CD or more, usually from their great oldies selection.

They had been selling records since Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" in 1973, my last year as an undergrad at Northern. I also got my Master's there in 1981. I always thought it was owned by this one guy who was always there, but found out he didn't own it. I can't remember his name, but, we had some great music talks and other stuff. One of the last times I was there, we talked about all the helicopters and police staging along the Lincoln Highway (Illinois-38) the day of the Valentine's murders.

The owner, Mark Lemy cites the dire economy and student downloading as the reasons for the demise. "My flame is extinguished. I'm done running my 35-year marathon." He counted them, and he has been in business 13,000 days. Over the years, they sold vinyl, 8 tracks, cassettes, and CDs.

A benefit concert was held at the House Cafe at 263 E. Lincoln Highway.

So, the next time you drive by 817 West Lincoln Highway, think of what was. In the last two years, I've lost the Record Rack in Goldsboro, NC, and Full Cyrkle Records in Crystal Lake, Illinois. Sigh!!!

So Sad to See This Part of My Past Go. --RoadDog

No comments: