The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Friday, August 1, 2008

Richmond, Illinois Cruise In

Tonight, I drove the short distance over to Richmond for their Friday night classic car show. I don't suggest anyone take US-12 because of the huge amound of traffic as it is a major avenue for Illinoisians vacationing in Wisconsin and you have to expect long wits, plus there is evcidently road construction further complicating things. I ended up taking an alternative route.

Most of the stores are open and some also served reasonably priced hot dogs and Polish as well as 50 cent cans of pop. Richmond is known for their antique stores, kind of a small Galena. Police stop traffic so you can cross US-12, otherwise you'd be taking your life in your own hands.

I wold estimate there were 50-75 old cars there. I was most impressed with a 1932 Buick woody. I mean, this vehicle was solid wood where it wasn't metal. None of that just putting a wood veneer over the sides. This must have taken a really long time to restore.

Being a Firebird guy, I once had a 67 convertible and still have an 85, I liked the tow 1968 Camaros. Never heard of a Pontiac Star Chief, but there was a 1956 one with a nice license holder saying "Old Guys Rule." I can go for that. Liked the Wisconsin license plate "REDHT57".

Entertainment was provided by Jeff James of Y103.9 FM who was actually playing 45s on a pair of turntables. This is one excellent deejay and I often listen to his show during the midmorning. I especially like his show at noon where he plays music that was popular on one day in the past.

There will be cruise-ins every Friday during the rest of August Two Fridays from now they will be featuring Corvettes and there will be a big one during their Richmond Days celebration around the 23rd.

Old Cars in an Old Town. Good Combination. --RoadDog

No comments: