The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

US-49 from Jackson, Mississippi to Gulfport

In our "Quest for the Warm" last month, we decided to take US-49 from Jackson to Gulfport along the Gulf Coast instead of I-55 to I-10 in Louisiana and over. Quite a savings of time and, especially these, GAS.

It is four lane all the way so you superslabbers don't have to worry about two lanes.

We left our motel at 10:30 and took I-55 to I-20 east for a mile before we picked up US-49. Like I said, it is a four-lane divided road the whole way with 65 mph speed limits between towns.

Country Fisherman-- Mendenhall, Mississippi

Saw lots of bbq and catfish joints along the way, About twenty miles out, I saw a sign for the Country Fisherman in Mendenhall featuring a southern buffet. That's for us. We had a great meal for $7.49. They could have used signs above some of the items that us "Yankees" wouldn't recognize. I don't usually like carrot salad, but tried it after Liz said it was good. Boy, was it ever great. Loaded up on some of the best catfish ever. The place was very crowded as you would expect at prices like that. The owner was at the cash register and said they'd been open eight years. Here's hoping for many more.

Hattiesburg, Mississippi

We did lose some time in Hattiesburg as there was a lot of traffic and we went right through downtown. This is the home of Southern Mississippi University, my dad's East Carolina nemesis for many years. ECU just can't beat those guys, much like my alma mater, Northern Illinois and Toledo. This is also the alma mater of Brett Favre, whoever he is.

On the Road Some More

Before Hattiesburg, we drove by Magee, Mississippi. Thought that was kind of neat because that was the same name as the Middle School I taught at for 31 years in Round Lake, Illinois.

The southbound lanes of US-49 were evidently built first as they really follow the contours of the land, going up and down the hills. The north lanes were quite a bit flatter. I learned something, I always thought Mississippi was fairly flat. It sure isn't. Also, there were stretches where a frontage road ran alongside. That must have been the very first US-49.

Once we got by I-10, there were lots of motels, stores, and restaurants. Took it into Gulfport past lots of SHS--Standard Homogenized Stuff as I call it. This would be your Kohls, Best Buys, Office Maxes, and TGIFs. Headed east on US-90 where US-49 ended by the water.

Keep on Down that Four Lane US Highway. --RoadDog

No comments: