The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Friday, October 5, 2007

Little Boxes Made of Ticky Tocky


Writing about Levittown brought to mind a song I remember hearing from the 1960s. I could remember the words "ticky tocky" but not the name. At first I thought perhaps "Little Houses" but a search didn't turn it up other than a song by country singer Doug Stone.

"Ticky Tocky" got me to the 1963 song by folk singer Malvina Reynolds called "Little Boxes." She was obviously not impressed with Levittown nor the people who "lowered" themselves to live there.

Some of the words:

Little boxes on the hill side, little boxes made of ticky tocky
Little boxes, little boxes, little boxes, all the same.

There's a green one and a pink one and a blue one and ayellow one.
And they're all made of ticky tocky and they all look just the same.

She then went on to cut down the parents and children.

Rats, Now I Have This Song in My Head. --RoadTock

No comments: