The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Monday, July 26, 2021

Today's Firebird Cruise-- Part 1: It Ain't That Flat, All Those Parks and All That Corn and Those Subdivisions

MONDAY, JULY 26, 2021

Nice, hot day, today.  Just perfect for a cruise in the old car, with the window down, arm out the window and tunes blaring from the radio.

I did a loop through Spring Grove and Johnsburg, Illinois, about 18 miles total.  In that time, I went by five parks, two agricultural tourist farms, lots of corn and soybeans as well as McHenry County's newest growth, the numerous subdivisions.  Also, lots of farms.  Beware of farm equipment on the roads at all times around here.  I've even seen big old tractors pulled up in front of some local drinking establishments and no parade would be complete without tractors.

Anyone that thinks all of Illinois is perfectly flat might change their mind around here.  We have several good-sized "Hills."

First, I took Sunset Road west to Meyer Road through real high corn.  Then north on Meyer and down a good-sized hill, past the Spring Grove Village Hall to US-12.  Wait and wait and wait for a break in the traffic and I'm on my merry way.

Even better today, I finally remembered to bring along one of my cassettes.  Yep, the Firebird radio also has a cassette deck on it.  I listened to Bob Stroud's Rock and Roll Roots show salute to Summer 2020, Vol. 2, which I had recorded last year.  Yep, I still record on cassettes.  As a matter of fact, I recorded a large part of Bob's show yesterday when he featured Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Cosmo's Factory."

Creedence is my all-time favorite rock band, well, Swamp Band or whatever it was that they played.  It was released 51 years ago this week.

--RoadCruiser


No comments: