The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Friday, June 11, 2021

Going to Union-- Part 3: Fooled By a Burger at Checkers II

My trip to Union, Illinois, on Tuesday, June 8.

The last time I had been to Union, I ate at Checkers II  bar and restaurant.  I was there for a Civil War presentation at the McHenry County Historical Society Museum and was hungry so thought I'd check out a local establishment.

While there I met the people who take care of Northern Illinois University's husky mascot, Mission.  He replaced the much loved, but getting mighty old Diesel mascot who was getting too old to do his duties.  Only, NIU calls that breed of dog huskie.

The last time at Checkers II, I had a German meal.  They specialize in German food.

This time, we had advertised that the McHenry County Civil War Round Table would be getting together before the meeting for dinner at Checkers II.  Since it had been March 2020 since we last did this in Woodstock, we weren't sure how many would show up.  I got there first and told them I might be the only person, but there might be others.  We ended up with eight in attendance.

I decided to go with a Portabella Burger.  I ordered mine rare and the waitress looked at me kind of funny.  Oh well.  

Here's how the "burger" was described.  "Grilled portabella  mushroom topped with sauteed onions, peppers and melted bleu cheese served on a pretzel roll.   $11.  Man, everything I love on a sandwich.  How could this go wrong?

Bit into it after it arrived and ....

--Make Mine a Portablla.  --RoadDog


No comments: