The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Thursday, June 27, 2019

One Really Good Weekend-- Part 2: The Civil War, CDs, Sliders and a Bar Crawl on a Hay Wagon


SATURDAY, JUNE 22

Drove to Crystal Lake, Illinois, for the McHenry County Civil War Round Table discussion group meeting at Panera Bread, this month's topic "The Union Navy at Vicksburg."   This Navy is my favorite aspect of the war.  I talked about Porter's run past  Vicksburg with his fleet and his attack on Port Gibson.

Afterwards, I went to two of my favorite places:  Half-Price Books and White Castle in Algonquin and took care of my book and CD needs as well as got my Slider fix.

Later in the afternoon, I went on the Sunnyside Tavern's bar crawl hay ride to places in Johnsburg.  Going bar to bar in a hay wagon is something I don't think I've ever done before.  We started with food at Sunnyside and then rode the hay wagon over to Stucky's and Raymond Bowl.  Then to Half-Times and then to Oak Park Lounge and Cabana's on Pistakee Lake.

Oak Park Lounge has been open since the 1890s and still looks about the same.  They had a fundraiser for the Johnsburg 4th of July fireworks which will be taking place there and had a pig roast and band.  We returned to Sunnyside and enjoyed a great soul band, Peter & the Versatiles.

Now, This Is How To Spend a Day.  --  RoadDog

No comments: