The Shamrock Court Motel in Sullivan, Missouri. It can be yours for $125,000. Lots of possibilities. Actually, now you're too late. Missouri's Roamin' Rich bought it.

Friday, January 30, 2009

On the Road to See the Eagles-- Part 10-- Lincoln Highway and Home

Drove through Rochelle, Illinois, past that wonderful old-restored gas station and the Hub Theater. Sad to see the Beacon Restaurant with that great old sign, closed and for sale. Hopefully, someone will reopen it. We've never had the opportunity to eat there.

I dropped Liz off at Fatty's on Lincoln Highway (Home of the most-excellent Cajun-fried potato salad) so she could meet our friend Gayle who is a teacher at Northern Illinois University. I went over to the Convocation Center to see the NIU-Central Michigan game. Parking was FREE and I got a great seat for $9. Unfortunately, I had messed up on my time, and arrived at half time. Also, unfortunately, we don't have much in the way of a team this year, and were fairly well blown out in the second half.

Proud to say, Liz and I attended the very first show at the Convocation Center when it opened, when Bill Cosby came to the corn. I also saw the very first basketball game played in it. This building is a real credit to NIU and Dekalb.


RECORD REVOLUTION


Stopped at my favorite old-time mom and pop record store, Record Revolution, on Lincoln Highway and bought a Cameo-Parkway Records Greatest Hits package featuring the likes of the Orlons, Bobby Rydell, Chubby Checker, Tymes and others. There were quite a few good ones I'd never heard of before.


Every time I'm in Dekalb, I always stop in to buy at least one thing. Mom and Pop stores are going the way of Circuit City. Record revolution has been open since the early 1970s. How much longer they can survive is doubtful in this age of downloading. Not only that, but they play some great music over the intercom. Today it was Neil Young.

Then drove out to Sycamore Road and played NTN at B-Dubs (Buffalo Wild Wings) with Liz and Gayle, before driving the hour and a half home.

So Much for the Eagles and a Mini-Cruise. --RoadDog

No comments: