Continuing with List Verse's Top Ten. My comments last.
5. Blue Whale-- Catoosa, Ok.-- Hugh Davis' anniversary gift to his wife and a popular Route 66 swimming hole for many years. If I HAD to pick JUST one thing to see on Route 66, this'd probably be it. Talk about your outlandish.
4. Cadillac Ranch-- Amarillo, Tx.-- Eccentric millionaire Stanley Marsh, III's salute to craziness. Ten vintage Caddies buried front end down west of town. This'd be #2 of my list of must-see craziness.
3. Blue Swallow Motel-- Tucumcari, NM,-- believed to be the oldest continually operating motel on 66 with that great neon sign. We were fortunate enough to spend a night there and sat out for hours that night watching the sign blink and listening to the ghosts of the road.
2. Sitgreaves Pass-- between Kingman and Oatman in the Black Mountains. In nine miles, the road climbs 1400 feet with dangerous, hairpin turns and spectacular views. No kidding!!!
1. Santa Monica Pier-- Santa Monica, Ca.,-- Ocean Avenue and Santa Monica Boulevard. Not actually the end of the road, but the sentimental one. Love that great sign.
Not a bad list, but it could easily have been hundreds of places.
On the Road Again, I Just Can't Wait to Get on the Road Again. --RoadDog
UA to Have USS Arizona Memorial
1 week ago